BM  | EN
Tema: Biru dan Hijau Tema: Biru dan Hijau Tema: Merah Tema: Hijau
Text: Tambah BesarText: AsalText: Tambah Kecil
Latar Belakang: 1 Latar Belakang: 2 Latar Belakang: 3 

Kemaskini Pada: 19 Nov 2019
Versi 8.2.2
Downpour cuts short operation at landfill
Tarikh : 16 Oct 2019  Sumber Berita: Borneo Post Online (Peter Boon)
 


An excavator digs the ground, as workers hose the area in an attempt to douse the underground fire.
An excavator digs the ground, as workers hose the area in an attempt to douse the underground fire.

SIBU: Efforts to put out the underground fire at the former Seng Ling dumpsite here yesterday was cut short due to heavy rain.

Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) Sibu acting chief Wan Kamarudin Wan Ahmad said his personnel had resumed their operation in the morning but were unable to continue after the downpour began.

“We carried out the operation in the morning but could not continue in the afternoon due to the heavy rain.

“We are also uncertain if the operation will be carried out tomorrow (today) as we need to look at the situation first after the rain,” he said when contacted.

Bomba personnel and Sibu Municipal Council workers have been working hard to douse the underground fire at the site since last week.

Previously, a squatter at the landfill told The Borneo Post that she had noticed smoke coming out from the ground on Oct 4.

The landfill was closed in April this year after 18 years in operation.

A trench was dug across the access road leading to the landfill to stop vehicles from entering the area.